Birth Doula Package ($1000) “The word Doula comes from the ancient Greek, meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during, and just after birth.” (DONA)
Having a doula attended birth is extremely helpful to the mother and partner no matter what kind or birth you’re planning. Whether you’re planning a hospital birth, home birth, cesarean, or V-BAC I will support you and your decisions.
As your birth doula my role is to provide support throughout your pregnancy, birth, and postpartum period. I want you to feel cared for, informed, and supported in your choices, so that your family’s transition to life with a new baby is smooth and joyful. Birth is an experience that often triggers huge growth in relationships. My role as a doula is not to take the place of your partner or loved one at your birth but instead to facilitate connection, involvement, and care. In the same way, parents often go through personal growth during and after childbirth. Making informed decisions and speaking up for the rights of yourself and your child is a very powerful thing. Having a baby is a very powerful thing. I hope parents come out of the experience with a sense of their own power.
- I offer a complimentary interview to discuss individual needs for birth and to make sure we are a good fit. This can be via phone call or in person.
- The package includes two prenatal visits for about two hours each where we will get to know each other, plan for your birth, and practice comfort techniques. Each family receives a binder with prenatal and postpartum education: The stages and phases of labor, many different options for comfort measures, evidence based information on tests, procedures, and medications, tips for healthy pregnancy, spinning babies exercises, breastfeeding resources, tips on recognizing postpartum disorders, baby care, recipes, and much more. Throughout the home visits we work through the binder as a team while crafting a birth and postpartum plan and practicing your preferred comfort measures.
- I will guide you to any resources that you might need during our work together. Reading and research are my favorites so I always have recommendations and a huge library to lend from. I’m available for phone, text, or email communication throughout your pregnancy and postpartum.
- If you choose, I offer informal photography with one of our phones or camera that you provide. I say informal because my role as your doula will always come first. That said, I am almost always able to grab at least a few good shots.
- During prenatal visits we will go over the signs of labor and what to do in early labor. When the time comes I will assist you in making a plan to track contractions and read labor signs to decide when to go to the hospital or call your midwife.
- During labor I will support you emotionally and physically in many ways such as:
Help prepare the mood/labor setting
Provide comfort techniques such as positioning, rebozo, acupressure, meditation, massage, counter pressure, tens unit, aromatherapy, and more
Help troubleshoot stalled labor, non-progressing contractions, back labor, etc
Gently remind you of positions and techniques discussed prenatally
Provide food and drink to keep your energy up
Help your partner get involved
Provide encouragement, help overcoming fear, the feeling of presence and holding your space
Help troubleshoot unforeseen complications, help deciphering medical terms and situations
Advocate, encourage communication with care providers, help remind you of desires and preferences discussed prenatally
- After your birth I will stay with you and your family until you feel settled in, usually 2-3 hours. I will assist you in making the most of the very special bonding time that occurs after birth with skin to skin time and breastfeeding support if you choose. I can attend to any other needs such as food or comfort measures so that you and your partner can be with your new baby.
- The package includes a meal for you to encourage warmth and healing. You can choose whether you prefer to have it brought to the birth for after your baby is born or to the follow up postpartum appointment. For information on adding more meals please see my postpartum care page.
- The package also includes a two hour postpartum appointment where I visit your home at a time that is helpful for you. I check on the emotional and physical health of both you and your baby and assist with any questions you may have in the important but often overlooked fourth trimester. I can care for your baby or older children to give you a break, do light housework, prep food, help you get some self care, be on the lookout for postpartum disorders, and make sure things are going as smooth as possible. Some common topics are: unpacking the birth experience, the changing relationship with your partner, how to get sleep, breastfeeding, infections, diapering, babywearing, getting out with your new baby, finding friends and groups, healing, and much more. You can add more postpartum visits to your package ahead of time or as needed.
- I offer placenta encapsulation and placenta keepsakes as an add on to my birth doula service. Many mothers choose encapsulation for its health benefits and as a way to honor their baby and the organ that helped grow her. Birth doula clients receive a discount on placenta services. Please click here for more information.